Monday, December 12, 2011

At how many miles do i have to change the timing belt on my Yaris?

I have a 2000 toyota yaris 1.3sr its done 70,000 miles and is fine no problems but my friend has a 2003 clio that has 60000 miles on it and his belt went and cost him over 3k to fix the damage. when should i change mine i have heard everything from 90000 to 250000 any idea?



thank youAt how many miles do i have to change the timing belt on my Yaris?
I don't know if my experience with a 1980s' Corolla is applicable, but maybe.



The first recommended change was at 90,000 miles or 120,000 miles, the latter if my memory serves me well. After the first change, Toyota recommends changing it every 60,000 miles. I do the latter (at a big city dealership); however, the local Toyota mechanic has often said that he has never seen any noticeable wear or tear on my timing belt. Nonetheless, I just don't want to take any chances, as I find one significant repair/replacement every 60,000 miles quite acceptable. A Toyota is remarkably troublefree (and may well not leave you stranded until the transmission goes at about 500,000 miles), so the cost of replacing a timing belt every 60,000 miles is inconsequential.



I made a couple of grammatical corrections.At how many miles do i have to change the timing belt on my Yaris?
The 4cyl Toyota Yaris has only been sold in the US since the 2007 model year, and has a timing chain, not a timing belt. My understanding is that previously, the Toyota Echo (4cyl) in the US was the same car as the Yaris in other countries, but even the US 2000-2004 Echo had a timing chain and not a timing belt. There is no prescribed replacement interval for a timing chain. (If it did have a timing belt, for a 1999 or newer the replacement is 90,000 miles or 6 years, whichever occurs first. If older, replace at 60,000 mile intervals.)



http://www.toyota.com/help/faq-service.h

expand questions ';Does my vehicle have a timing belt or a timing chain?'; and ';What maintenance is required on my timing belt?';



However, you'd be best to check your owner's manual or service supplement to see what the prescribed maintenance interval is for your Yaris in your specific country, if your 2000 Yaris has a timing belt or chain, and if the service interval is different for your country...
If you are not hearing a screeching sound from your Yaris engine, then you are good, normally when belts are bad you hear a screech from the engine which typically means you should change your belts but have it checked out by a mechanic or a friend who knows about cars. Normally belts last about 115k miles but if you are still unsure have a mechanic check it out
i would change it now, on average u should change it around 70,000, but i wouldnt go over 100k, just play it safe and change it now, then u wont have to worry
typically toyotas are 100K, but check with your dealer or mechanic, they can tell you.
You need to change it exactly when the owners manual say to. I bet your friend wishes he had.
  • domain names
  • horses
  • 1 comment:

    Post a Comment